March 28, 2010

High Art for Those with Low Standards

True artists refuse to be bound by the rules of society. In the face of Standardization, they spit fluorescent saliva. In the ear of Tradition, they whisper, "Thanks, but no thanks."

When it comes to vision, a true artist views his world not through the eyes of mainstream culture, but through the gaze of his own pulsating pupils--pupils that perpetually widen and constrict like the mouths of glow-in-the-dark sea anemone. Yes, a true artist stands alone, inventing and inventing and inventing with a brush that gives birth to the past, present, and future--all at once. And if a canvas does not exist upon which he can initiate that fantastic rupture in space and time, then he makes a canvas of his world.

Take, for example, Duchamp's famous urinal, aptly titled "Fountain"; or Frida Kahlo's self-decorated body cast; or even the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX. My friends, the work of true artists cannot be imprisoned by standard media.

Since I consider myself to be one of the truest, brilliantest, bohemianest bohemians of them all, I knew I had to think outside the box for artistic inspiration. So, I stepped outside of my box (literally--I'm so quirky and eccentric and artistic that I actually live inside a 4'x4' glass box; it represents the ideological boundaries created by society, culture, government, the media, and other, uh, stupid things), drove my homemade unicycle to the grocery store, and THERE found the unique canvas I had been craving: corn tortillas.

Two things stood out about corn tortillas in my mind, both of which assured me that this new artistic medium would make my work seem at once rebellious, playful, and, of course, deeply philosophical. 1.) Corn tortillas are circles, not boxes--of which I am trying to think outside, remember? 2.) Corn tortillas are edible! I will literally eat my art! This will really draw a new fan base for my work: the Buddhist, "art-is-impermanent" crowd. Like a god, I will give birth to, and then destroy, that which I create. Born-again Buddhists love that kind of stuff.

So, without further adieu, here is the high art you've been waiting for. If you wish to witness the great life cycle my great artistic hands have the great power to unleash, feel free to drop by my place/box any night for dinner. However, please be reminded that cameras are not allowed. Nor are cell phones, joyful attitudes, or personalities.

Jalapeno, Egg & Roasted Sweet Potato

Red Pepper Hummus and Horseradish Cheddar

Hummus, Red Pepper, Cashew & Olive Oil

Cinnamon, Sugar, Ground Ginger & Olive Oil

11 comments:

彥宏 said...

你的部落格很棒,我期待更新喔........................................

Paul Allor said...

Replace the olive oil with a little butter and that last offering is something my Mom used to make us when we were kids!

Oh, and according to the definition in this column, I am so not a true artist. Eh well. I can live with that.

Jada Ach said...

Not a true artist? I'm not sure I agree. The definition of "true artist" in this post comes from another voice--the voice of a woman who lives in a 4'x4' box and rides a unicycle.

Jada Ach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Breedale said...

You really are so quirky! I love your art. Art that you can eat is the best kind.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, delicious looking creations! right after reading your post and drooling over easily accessible tortillas, peppers, etc. we just got a huge bag of chills in the mail from Canada - we've gone seven months without our favorite Mexican flavors!
E

Hadley Gets Crafty said...

Dude. Such awesomeness! I love how corn tortillas smell. Mmmm....

Also, what are you doing this summer? I have something to propose... you should shoot me an e-mail.

Jada Ach said...

Bridget: Your food is always so pretty--just like you!

E: I'm glad you received a stash of chilis in the mail. I was wondering what the chili situation might be like in your new land. If you need me to smuggle any Mexi-goods for you in my luggage, let me know!

Hadley: Something to propose? Sweet! I'll get in touch with you soon. Hopefully it involves some sort of road tour. I'll be in Indiana/Chicagoland for a bit this summer.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are really pretty and very artistic! Do I see framed tortilla looming as a future christmas present??? Oh they would look so lovely in my spa!!!!

Jada Ach said...

Framed tortillas as Christmas presents! You are really on to something. Choose a color scheme, and I will craft you a tortilla to match.

v奎峰奎峰 said...

^^ 謝謝你的分享,祝你生活永遠多彩多姿!........................................